As a blogger, we strive to reach our audiences on many levels be it via our Blog, our Instagram, Facebook or SnapChat, we want to extend our reach as much as possible. One of the medium I’ve seen bloggers use often is YouTube, and many of the A-list bloggers got their big break when one of their videos went viral like Wendy’s Lookbook did with her 25 Ways to Wear a Scarf in 4.5 Minutes video now has over 36 Million views. I’m going to address the Pros and Cons with using YouTube as well as my personal experience and some advice on How To Add Traffic To Your Blog Using YouTube.
First of all, YouTube is not for everyone. If you are shy in front of the camera or feeling self conscious at public speaking then you might want to re-consider this option. I started my YouTube channel with posts of PA and Miss K which had nothing to do with fashion. However as time goes on and I feel the need to incorporate videos into my blog posts, I started doing simple YouTube videos. Don’t get me wrong I am still a novice in the Vlog world, but it is something I think I will continue to do as well as improve upon. Here are some Pros and Cons I learned with using YouTube.
Pros of Starting a YouTube Channel
- Ability to show your personality in person that is otherwise different from writings in a blog post. People get to see You, as a person versus some pictures and a bunch of words.
- You can include links to your websites and affiliate program. Google loves promoting things that can be found on Google’s services, which gives you another natural boost to your blog as well.
- Add interesting contents to your blog. We all know that YouTube videos can be embedded and shared across all social media platforms so you can share videos on your Blog, Facebook page etc to cross promote.
Cons of Starting a YouTube Channel
- It is time consuming to make a video and edit it. Although it is not rocket science, there is still a learning curve to edit videos, make it pretty and upload it. Not to mention trying to figure out how to navigate around YouTube itself.
- Building an audience is just as hard as promoting your blog. There is no guarantee that anyone would watch it initially and there will always be some negative trolls making ugly comments.
- Short attention span of viewers inevitably means that you gain as much followers as you loses them unless you provide a lot of valuable content that keeps people coming back for more.
Recently I went to an event thrown by a sponsor I’ve worked with in the past and there were other bloggers present. When it comes to introduction and I said my name and my blog, a girl quickly turned to me and said “I know you!! I saw your YouTube video with the Red Tasseled Shoes!! I even bought the shoes because of your video!” I was in awe and so flattered that someone would associate me with my video (given how little of an audience I have amassed). So how should you go about utilizing YouTube to add value to your blog?
3 Things To Consider When Starting a YouTube Channel
- Be yourself. Like I’ve mentioned before, if you are nervous in front of the camera and sweat bullets, this may not be the best option. People can sense your nervous energy and awkwardness and be put off by it. Speak as if you would to your friends and family and be personal-able.
- Find your niche for your audience. My earlier videos generated very little views because not many people are interested in everyday videos featuring my kids (unless it is super cute and funny, that’s a whole different story). When I started doing Splurge or Steal, I got a lot more views, likes and comments because people can relate to the topic and benefit from it.
- Have thick skin. There will be negative comments, dislikes, and such. You can’t please everyone, just do your best and do it for your audience. Don’t be afraid to show mistakes. I have bloopers at the end of my videos that showcases my personality and people always like a “behind the scene” shot.
Hope you all find these tips on How To Use YouTube to Draw Traffic For Your Blog useful. The Pros and Cons as well as tips are all based on personal experience. I have many tricks to learn from the pros as well as new video editing techniques that will make my videos better. Exciting things are coming to my YouTube channel so please subscribe and stay tuned!!
Last week’s most clicked on outfit was Nora from Jacket Society with this beautiful plaid number that I absolutely adore. Make sure you check out her blog!
AND NOW FOR THE LINK-UP!
Thank you all for stopping by! Please take a moment to take a look at the etiquette before joining the fun:
1. Please link to a specific post, not your main blog page.
2. I ask that you kindly follow me on INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN | FACEBOOK | PINTEREST |
3. Since this is a linkup party, try to visit and comment on as many posts in the link as you can. Everyone likes a little compliments and encouragements. Spread the LOVE.
4. By linking up, you are giving me permission to feature your post.
Are you interested in co-hosting the Midweek Inspirations Linkup with me? If so, please email me directly: email@example.com