Happy hump day everyone! I know it seems like I’m on this trip forever, and 10 days certainly feels that way but it also went by really fast as we are wrapping up and packing for home. Today’s “inspo” if you will, is not much of an inspiration as it is a perspective, let me tell you why.
I’ve always had a wanderlust for seeing the world. As much as I do regret not traveling as much as I should, I’ve been to a few countries and cities. I’ve visited Croatia in 2008, long before travel bloggers heavily tagging it on this thing called Instagram. After marriage and birth of PA, one of my fear came true when our fear of traveling with baby and kids turned us into homebodies who didn’t go anywhere. I was was unhappy, restless and begging for vacation. Thankfully, my husband’s extended family lives in Hawaii, giving us the opportunity to test waters for traveling with tots.
After Miss K was born, my fear of traveling with 2 tots arise again and once again, we were put to the test. This time, I was determined to make it work because I believe that with practice and some trial and errors, family vacation is possible with multiple tots. We now traveled to New York twice, San Antonio, China, Hawaii twice and now Seattle. I have successfully conquered this fear of traveling with kids and we now have a very good system when we do. Of course, no trip is complete without a few meltdowns and some hiccups, but that is just part of life. Here are a few tips traveling with kids.
- Have a checklist of everything you need for your self and the kids. I’ve written one in the past and you can see it HERE. This list should include everything you do and need within 24 hour period so that you aren’t missing anything.
- Get TSA Pre-checked for everyone (including the kids) if you travel often. We’ve gotten the kids and ourselves Pre-checked as well as Global Entry cards for international trips. Your line for going thru security shrinks about 2/3 and you don’t have to take off shoes, belts, jackets. Your laptops and iPads stays in the bag….no need to screen those milk carry-on. All sorts of convenience.
- Have alone time with your significant other. We’ve used outsourced babysitting services such as Care.com or Urbansitter as well as hotel services (which could cost more). If you are visiting relatives, have them take the kids out for a day or night. It feels so good to have that one-on-one time to rekindle the romance.
- Expect EXTRA melt downs and tantrums. When kids are traveling, they are easily excited and wants to see everything because it is all so new to them. When it is time to leave one place for the next adventure, they may not want to leave. Plus it is also hard for the little ones to adjust to sleeping in new environments, eating on the go and be in constant motion, so tantrums are to be expected. When you find your self driven to the brink, find a place quiet where you can just unwind on your own (I was to hiding in the hotel bar pounding down shots of scotch on this trip and of course all captured on Snapchat), go out for a quick walk, or even close the door and take a hot shower to ease your mind. Bad mood mommy means bad mood trip.
Don’t let kids get in the way of your wanderlust. I am inspired when I travel and I think it is so good for the kids to see the world even when they are young. They will appreciate the world and the beauty of nature and learn to adapt to new surroundings much better as an adult. Hope you all like the photos of Seattle (all taken on my iPhone6s) and feel inspired to travel.
AND NOW FOR THE LINK-UP!
Thank you all for stopping by! Please take a moment to take a look at the etiquette before joining the fun:
1. Please link to a specific post, not your main blog page.
2. I ask that you kindly follow me on INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN | FACEBOOK |
3. Since this is a linkup party, try to visit and comment on as many posts in the link as you can. Everyone likes a little compliments and encouragements. Spread the LOVE.
4. By linking up, you are giving me permission to feature your post.
Last week’s most clicked is a TIE between Shannon from Up Beat Soles with this cute flared jeans look and Bogi from Red Reticule with this dramatic mesh skirt!! Gorgeous looks by both ladies def worth checking out their blog!!