This weekend marks the beginning of festival season when Coachella unveils its ever growing “epicness” to the masses that descends upon Indio, Cali. There is no doubt that festival fashion and trends have elevated itself to be deserving of its own “Style Category” with lookbooks and themes not to mention amassing quite a formidable sales figure. I did a little satirical piece last year on Coachella where Miss K and I got dolled up (see below) and had a picnic in our local park and pretended that we were at the music festival. It turned out really well, we didn’t get spilled on or littered on or even worse (fill in the blank on) but instead it was a scenic, peaceful, albeit not so eventful time.
So I thought instead of actually being present at the event, I’d dress up again and give my two cent of how to partake in the festival fashion style when you are over the age of 30 (which I think should be the artificial cut off of age limit for women with kids). I will reveal the pretend outfit that I would wear had I gone to the music festival this Friday so make sure you come back and check it out 😉 now onto today’s main event.
Styling Tips For Festival Season – A Grown Up’s Superlative
1. Save the Daisy Dukes for the you 10 years ago, you know, younger, hotter and leaner, and go all out flares instead, because we all know that Fun Flared Jeans are so on point this season and so flattering on.
2. Tie Dye me not, Graphic Tees yes! Ditch those psychedelic swirls and opt for an interesting Statement Making Graphic Tees like these to show a little personality and originality, noot to mention, a cool shirt will def get the conversation started. But please, no unicorn and glittery fairy tees unless you are 5!
3. Fringes look best when it is a focal point. I’ve seen outfits in the past that is all fringe evrrrywhere, it really reminded me of those automatic car wash spinners flapping all over the place. Whether it is your skirt, your vest, or jacket, keep it in one place.
4. When it comes to dresses: Lace, Sheer, Florals oh My. Just so you know, that a dress consist of aforementioned style, pattern and design is one of the 10 commandments in Festival Style. Be it long or short, sexy or flower child-ish, you need to pack a few of these to fit in to the sea of lace, floral and white dresses.
5. Its a friggin dessert out there, ain’t no place for high heels. The bible of festival style says that it is best that you wear shoes that is made for walking…looooong distances. The Lace Up Gladiators are good for those who is not afraid to get their feet dirty (and they will be filthy by the end of the day) but my bets will be on Soludos or Ankle Boots for the long haul.
6. Hats trumps those frivolous flower headbands. Seriously girls, its a friggin dessert out there, you will be laid out under the sun like sardines without much coverage, I get it, the flower headbands looks so much better on Snapchat, but sunburn and skin cancer does not look good anywhere.
7. Did I mention its a dessert out there? Time to suit up. What is a festival party without some seriously good looking people in seriously beautiful and cute bikinis? I will leave it to everyone’s preferences because the options are endless!!! One word of advice, bathroom lines are long, so I’d leave the one piece at home.
So gals, what do you think? Did I hit all the points or was there something missing that needs to be added to this music shindig? Keep in mind that I’m dressing the adults who still wants to be in on all the teenage fun. I would probably do a wishlist for myself in the 20’s but that’s another time and story. Have a great hump day! P.S. Miss K, PA and I will be on TV this Thursday talking about Mommy and Me fashion for Mother’s Day so tune in on my SnapChat @poshclassymom to see behind the scene deets! 😉
~ xo Sheree