We all love to improve our living space, to make the space more comfortable and some home improvement projects really do add value to the property, while others make little or no difference to the property’s worth.
Here are some of the popular home improvement projects that lead to an increase in property value.
- Building an extension – Adding square metres to your living space will certainly see a rise in value; whether you build a bricks-and-mortar extension or a stand-alone modular building, extra living space means more room for your family. You could design a stand-alone structure that will be a guest bedroom with an en-suite bathroom, perfect for guests that stay overnight.
- Loft conversion – If you have an attic, you could turn this unused space into an extra room; if you’re into DIY, a loft conversion is a challenging project that will give you an extra bedroom or a home office. You will not need planning permission unless you are adding a bay window that exceeds the existing property perimeters. We recommend adding at least two skylights to give adequate natural lighting and if you would like some help, YouTube hosts many videos about loft conversions.
- Kitchen renovation – When planning a kitchen revamp, the first thing to do is decide exactly what the extent of the project is. Browse the huge catalogue of kitchen sinks and other kitchen appliances from your local home improvement supplies company. You can use their in-house design team for free if you are ordering products, plus most offer free delivery, which is great. Resist the temptation to use cheap appliances and materials, as this usually leads to repairs a few years down the road.
- Solid hardwood floors – This is never going to be cheap; you could do one room at a time and eventually have a home with solid timber floors in every room, with the exception of the bathroom and kitchen. There is an alternative to hardwood, namely engineered timber, which has a composite core and an outer covering of real wood, plus it is much cheaper than solid timber. All timber flooring companies offer engineered timber and the range of colours and finishes are almost endless. Here are a few rustic home décor ideas to consider.
- Swimming pool – Nothing boost a property’s value like a swimming pool and if you choose fibreglass, you can save quite a lot of money. There’s a lot to consider when designing an outdoor pool; you will need to acquire a filtration system and the many tools and implements related to pool maintenance. Pool safety is, of course, critical and by hiring the right pool contractor, you can be sure that your pool will pass the government inspection and be issued with a pool safety certificate. You could take out a home improvement loan with low interest rates and aside from the luxury of having a pool at home, you can expect to see the value soar.
The great thing about making improvements to your living space is the additional value and the fact that your living space is more comfortable and luxurious.