It’s one of the most well-known facts of life that no electrical device is completely safe. Whether it’s a hair dryer or a commercial power grid, there are always manageable dangers involved in using electricity.
However, there are emergencies where the risk goes far beyond what is appropriate in a given scenario. There are hundreds of different electrical emergencies that you might face in your life, varying from mild inconveniences to life-threatening circumstances.
So always prepare yourself for the worst. Below, we’ve outlined the most common electrical emergencies and how to deal with them.
An overloaded circuit has more power drawn from it than it is designed for. This can lead to sparks, smoke, and even fire.
The best way to deal with this electric emergency is to unplug appliances. In some cases, the circuit breaker may have to be switched off, or the home may need rewiring to accommodate the increased load.
Either way, you have to find an on call electrician. Regular checks of circuits should also be done to reduce the risk of an overloaded circuit.
Electrical fires can happen due to faulty wiring, overloaded circuits, outdated wiring, short circuits, and faulty equipment.
For overloaded circuits, it is best to shut off the power immediately. For short circuits, it is best to unplug the appliance and turn off the circuit breaker. If the wiring is outdated, contact an electrician to replace it.
Finally, if an appliance is malfunctioning, unplug it and avoid re-plugging it until repaired or replaced by a professional.
In a power outage, it is important to remain calm and follow a few steps to ensure your safety.
First, unplug any electronics and appliances to prevent them from being damaged when the power returns. Second, check to see if you have tripped circuit breakers. Lastly, you should check with your local power company to see if the outage is localized or if there is a larger issue that is causing the blackout.
In most cases, power restoration should happen within an hour or two. But note that it is recommended to stay away from downed wires or poles if you see any.
Electrical shocks can cause serious injury or death. To reduce the risk of electrical shock in your home, never operate electrical appliances with wet hands or while standing in water.
If a person is suffering from an electrical shock, the main priority is to turn off the power at the switch or main electrical panel as quickly as possible. Once the person has been disconnected from the current, it is necessary to provide basic first aid.
If the symptoms are more severe, call 911 and await medical assistance.
Always Be Prepared in Electrical Emergencies
It is essential to be prepared for electrical emergencies and know the correct steps to take to deal with them safely. Always take the necessary steps mentioned above to ensure that you, your family, and your property are safe.
But for more extensive advice on electrical problems and solutions, call a licensed electrician.
Was this article helpful? For more advice, check out the other posts on our blog!